We were invited to go to Echo, Oregon to the orchard of our friends and pick apples and make fresh apple juice. Several members of our ward went down and we brought back over 500 gallons of freshly squeezed apple juice and at least a ton of golden delicious apples. I have spent the last week trying to find time to can. I have done up at least 21 quarts of apple sauce so far, and I haven't made a dent in the amount of apples our family brought home. Somehow I managed not to get any pictures of the kids actually picking the apples, but here Jennifer, Edward, and some of the other youth that came along are washing the apples in preparation for them being ground to mash. From there the apple mash was loaded into the press, where the juice was literally squished out. It is the best tasting juice around. (Too bad Ed can't enjoy, as he is allergic to uncooked apples.) Edward and Jennifer also helped bring up boxes of fresh apples from the orchard with the help of Donna and her trusty tractor. I don't think there was a job there that they didn't do. We were all tired and a bit sticky when we were finished.
If you happen to want to come over and help me can, I would love to give you apples to can for yourself. Bring along your own jars and we'll can yours on the spot as well.
If you happen to want to come over and help me can, I would love to give you apples to can for yourself. Bring along your own jars and we'll can yours on the spot as well.


0 comments:
Post a Comment